Monday, May 25, 2009

Press on - in addition to accuracy, are bloggers obliged to put their posts in context?

Over the last week I've run across two incidents that have something to do with the press. I'm not at liberty to talk about either of them, other than to say that in the first case, someone felt misquoted in the press, and the second case, the person was accurately quoted in the press, but a third party who read the article didn't really understand what was being said.

So what does this mean to those of us who write? Obviously it helps if we quote things accurately, and I've made efforts to correct a blog post when I misrepresented someone. But are we also obliged to put our writings in context? If I do so, does that damage any chance that I have to be succinct? (Not that I'm succinct anyway.)

Your thoughts?
blog comments powered by Disqus