Tuesday, August 11, 2009

NAITPA - a professional association?

I came back to work today and went through my snail mails, and found a very interesting letter from an outfit called the "North American IT Professionals Association." It begins as follows:

Thank you for your support for the upcoming membership year. This letter is your official confirmation of NAITPA membership for the period August 1, 2009 - July 31, 2010. You may use this letter for verify that your membership is in good standing.

It includes a member card, which indicates that I have been a member since August 1, 2008.

At the bottom it includes a payment stub, along with several payment options, so that I can pay my $231 amount due.

I just wish I knew something about this organization which has supposedly counted me as a member for the past year, even though I've never sent a penny to them.

I guess I'm lucky that I don't have a secretary answering my mail. Some secretaries might read the message above, assume that I already authorized the payment, and send the money off to the NAITPA. Of course, a good secretary would probably get suspicious about the letter and ask me about it.

But you want to know what the REAL kicker is? On the payment stub, the following statement appears:

I hereby affirm that I subscribe to the purposes of NAITPA and adhere to the Code of Ethics...

Of course, the statement above concludes as follows;

...and understand that my membership is NOT transferable and NOT refundable.

That's obviously more important than any pesky little Code of Ethics - which, interestingly enough, I was unable to locate on the NAITPA website at http://www.naitpa.com/. I'm not saying it's not there, but if it is, it's awfully hard to find.

Perhaps the head of NAITPA should contact the North American Web Professionals Association. I bet the head of NAITPA already has had a membership, and just has to pay dues to renew.

P.S. Incidentally, you'll note that I'm referring to an unnamed "head of NAITPA." That's because NAITPA's letter from the executive director doesn't get around to actually providing the NAME of the executive director.
blog comments powered by Disqus