Sunday, August 30, 2009

Empoprise-BI News - 30 August 2009

Empoprise-BI News


The news letter for Empoprise-BI - An Empoprises vertical information service for business news.



Welcome to Empoprise-BI News

If you haven't seen this type of post before, this is an occasional series of posts that I run in the Empoprise-BI blog. Rather than setting up a separate e-mail list for a newsletter, I figured that I'd just throw the newsletter right into the blog itself. Why not?

Behind the Scenes

Speaking of series, I guess you've figured out that I like to run series of posts every now and then. I've run series before in this blog (see the first post in my "Virtualization Update" series) and in other blogs (see this entry in my "When Madonna Was Hot" series in my Empoprise-MU music blog). Probably my favorite series of all time was the "mrontemp Spaceballs Series" in November 2007 which looked at various mobile implementations of websites (here's the mobile Twitter entry).

I vary the way in which I do my series. Lately, my habit has been to start the series, then post the subsequent entries to the series on an irregular basis, creating a chain link between each of the posts in the series. For example, for my latest series, "Prodject," note how the bottom of the first post in the series links to the second post in the series.

I haven't really performed any analytics on my series to see if they truly result in repeat visits. But it is fun to write them, and the use of multiple posts allows me to be more succinct (sometimes) in any one individual post.

Read on for more series news.

Special Features

Speaking of series, I guess that my favorite part of the "Prodject" series was the fifth post in the series, Prodject part five - How are products managed? I got to create a fake dialogue, I found some good Creative Commons pictures on Flickr (three of them, in this case), and I conveyed some information from someone (Donald McNaughton) who actually knows something. And to top it off, I got to mention Beatrice, although I couldn't precede it with the word "we're." Hmm, maybe I should write a series on all the Beatrice products...

Upcoming

I know that I'll be publishing posts about marketing personas and a possible consumer application of biometric technology. Obviously this blog isn't a comprehensive view of everything in the business world, but just those portions of the business world that interest me. Which means that you're more likely to see marketing news, or biometrics news, or FriendFeed news, or news about Beatrice. But if you have any suggestions for items that I should pursue, Gmail has provided me with an account called "empoprises" that can be used for communication.

Oh, and speaking about series - I'm going to try something new. In the past, my post series have either been of limited duration, or they've been a regularly scheduled series that occurred daily or weekly as warranted. I've never had a series of posts which had no apparent end, and which occurred at random times when I felt like it. And I should also note that when I migrated from mrontemp to the Empoprises series of blogs, I purposely stopped using Blogger labels (except for Oracle OpenWorld-related posts).

But I've noticed that I've started to explore particular topics in this blog, and began thinking that I needed a better way to flag such posts. For example, perhaps you've seen one of my "a tool is not a way of life" posts - perhaps I should formalize such posts and flag them for easy identification.

Perhaps it's because I have a teenager in the house, but one thing that I've been thinking about is how people of different ages perceive different things, which leads us to the subject of time in general. I've collected some preliminary thoughts on the topic, which you will see in the coming week under the name (and the blog label) "empo-tymshft." I can't predict what's going to happen with this - maybe four weeks from now I'll have a dozen different empo-whatever labels, and every post that I crank out will provide revelatory information regarding the categories I have identified. Or maybe I'll write this one post and never do an empo-whatever post again. If you want to find out what happens in this experiment...you'll have to stay tuned. Visit the blog, or subscribe to it via RSS or email (see the upper left corner of the blog to do so), to see what happens next.
blog comments powered by Disqus