Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sort of targeted marketing

I recently received a webcast invitation via email. You can see the web version of the email invitation here.

Note that the title of the webcast is "Your Most Profitable Customers Ranked - For Long Term Success."

Accurate determination of customer’s Lifetime Value, or LTV, to your brand shapes the extent of your company’s long term success.

And when I received the email invitation, my employer's name was included in the invitation, making it very clear that this webcast would help me target MY customers.

So how come I didn't sign up for the webcast?

Because, despite the great efforts to personalize the invitation to attract me to sign up, I had the sneaking suspicion that it wouldn't really address my needs.

You see, the proposals that I write primarily go to state and local government customers. And while you can probably calculate LTV for such customers, there are a whole slew of variables - purchasing regulations, legislative appropriations, applications for Federal funding grants - that affect the state and local government purchasing process.

Will such topics be addressed in the webcast? I doubt it.

I forget whether this particular webcast provider knows that my customers are primarily government customers, but if the provider didn't ask this, maybe it should have been asked.
blog comments powered by Disqus