Friday, February 10, 2012

On Muphry's Law

I've heard of Murphy's Law, but I had never heard of Muphry's Law until recently - which is somewhat embarrassing, since I've been employed as a writer for much of my adult life.

Muphry's Law was initially described back in 1992 by John Bangsund.

Muphry's Law is the editorial application of the better-known Murphy's Law. Muphry's Law dictates that (a) if you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written; (b) if an author thanks you in a book for your editing or proofreading, there will be mistakes in the book; (c) the stronger the sentiment expressed in (a) and (b), the greater the fault; (d) any book devoted to editing or style will be internally inconsistent.

When I initially shared this on Google+, I threw in an intentional error, referring to Bangsund's work as a "seminole" work.

Unfortunately, I also made an unintentional error, using the word "of" instead of "on" ("A seminole piece of Muphry's Law").

Figures.
blog comments powered by Disqus