Saturday, November 6, 2010

It's a large world after all - Judith Griggs, apple pie...and South Africa?

I noticed that my earlier post, So, who advertises at Cooks Source? And why Monica Gaudio makes me hungry, was being read by people who entered the Google search term Monica Gaudio apple pie.

When I discovered this, the first thing that came to my mind was baseball, hot dogs, and Chevrolet.

Why? Because I am an American man of a certain age, and I therefore remember Chevrolet commercials that mentioned baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet as part of a song.

These commercials were effective in the United States, because even though Monica Gaudio has informed us that apple pies originated in Europe, baseball and Chevrolet are certainly domestic.

But Chevrolet is a worldwide concern, and that particular message may not resonate in, say, France. So what did Chevrolet do? Judge for yourself:



Yep, the South Africans - or at least the 1970s South Africans - praised the wonders of braaivleis, rugby, sunny skies and Chevrolet - "in the good ol' RSA" (Republic of South Africa).

I went to South Africa once - not in the 1970s, but in the late 1990s, after many things had changed there. But our hosts took us to a braai one Sunday afternoon, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. (Think "churrascaria" in the Afrikaans language and with no green and red markers.)

But you don't have to go to South Africa to enjoy a braai - you can go to New York City. (NEW YORK CITY???) And yes, this restaurant has a Facebook page. And it looks like their customers like them.
blog comments powered by Disqus