Friday, June 28, 2013

I've solved my enterprise-related feed reading issue. Well, sort of.

Since late 2000, I have been employed by two different large multinational firms. If you've ever worked for a multinational firm, you know that such firms like to set standards. In both firms, Internet Explorer (in various versions) has been adopted as the corporate standard browser. This has caused problems with certain technology firms that, to put it mildly, sometimes neglect to cater to the needs of enterprise users.

My most recent example was Feedly, the feed reader that all the cool kids on the block are adopting in the wake of Google Reader's impending demise. As I previously mentioned, Feedly supports reading feeds on the Chrome, Safari, and Firefox web browsers - although you have to install a plug-in for Feedly to work. Internet Explorer support? Of course not, you stupid enterprise cubicle-dwelling person!

So I was faced with the problem of how to read various work-related feeds, including feeds on biometrics, public safety, and proposals. I've been trying out pulse.me for the last couple of months, but am not really sold on it.

With the demise of Google Reader growing closer every day, and with promised solutions from companies such as Facebook and AOL (companies that generally offer better support for enterprises) failing to materialize before the deadline, I went all the way down to Plan Z.

My current Internet Explorer-compatible feed reader for work-related feeds is...Internet Explorer.

Yes, there are drawbacks to this solution - the biggest of which is that to follow these work-related feeds, I need my work computer. The current read status of my feeds isn't stored somewhere where I can access it on other devices.

But, unlike Feedly, it works.

And sometimes that's about all you can do.

P.S. Earlier in this post, I linked to a March 2013 post of mine that included this quote:

Yes, I know. People who build their service on a third party service can't cry when the third party service disappears. (See every third party Twitter developer out there.)

For the latest trouble that third party Twitter developers are facing, see Jesse Stay's post from last Friday.
blog comments powered by Disqus