Thursday, February 13, 2014

My colored views on marketing sticky paper

Two important disclosures need to be made at the outset of this post.

The first one, which is especially important, is that my employer competes with 3M. I want to make you aware of this, because this competition may, um, color what I am about to say.

The second disclosure is that I am employed in a marketing capacity, and therefore have been exposed to some ridiculous stuff over the years. My favorite example remains Ludo Cremers, who (back in his days with Kool cigarettes) would say things like this:

Kool understands the vibrant urban world of the trendsetting, multicultural smoker.

Which brings us to 3M's latest press release - entitled "Fashion Expert and Stylist Brad Goreski Introduces Colors of the World Collection by Post-it Brand." In normal person terms, this means that Post-It is available in some special color packs. But hold on, because that isn't how fashion experts say it.

“Trends in fashion, design and pop culture are taking on more global influence, and of course, one thing that’s always in style is color,” said Brad Goreski, Post-it Brand Color Ambassador. “I am consistently inspired whenever I travel, and I love seeing how the Post-it Brand Colors of the World collection brings the hues from four very chic destinations to life, offering a color scheme inspired by the energy of these places.”

Modern, adventurous, authentic and expressive, the Post-it Brand Colors of the World collection embodies the quintessential spirit of four exciting regions with a vibrant display of colors that mirrors the style and culture of the locations they are inspired by. The array of colors is as diverse as each of the four destinations, ranging from eye-catching bright hues to carefree contemporary shades.


So, when you next go to your WalMart, you will be able to acquire Goreski's interpretations of New York, Bangkok, Mykonos, and Rio de Janeiro. I have never been to Bangkok or Mykonos, but I have been to the other two cities, and I was especially looking forward to the modern, adventurous, authentic, and expressive way in which Rio was portrayed.

Are you ready?


Color me...underwhelmed. After all of this marketing build-up, I expected something so chic that Kim Kardashian would not be allowed to purchase it. However, it looks like this could be purchased by...ugh...people who work in cubicles.

While I don't agree with it, I can understand why people have the urge to be marketing free. An over-the-top marketing campaign usually leads to disappointment at the end (a notable exception was ALF, which had a huge marketing campaign, but actually succeeded on the air for several years).

I'm glad that I never do anything that's over the top. That would be embarrassing.
blog comments powered by Disqus