Thursday, October 18, 2012

Manifest apology

Remember my Monday post about the controversy surrounding the Gap/Mark McNairy "Manifest Destiny" shirt?

Well, I just learned something courtesy R. Alexander Spoerer, who shared this ABC News item:

Gap has pulled from its shelves a black and white T-shirt printed with “Manifest Destiny” across the chest, after backlash from consumers who say the slogan is racist toward Native Americans.

If you read my earlier post, you already know that McNairy took the slogan from the title of a Dictators album. You also know that he types in all caps because, in his words, "I cannot type." So you well-informed readers are not surprised that McNairy's apology was also in all caps, according to ABC:

I AM SORRY FOR MY SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST COMMENT. IT HURT ME DEEPLY TO BE CALLED A RACIST AS THAT IS NOT ME. I REACTED WITHOUT THINKING.

Of course, now the shirt will become a collector's item. And The Gap can still proceed with my other suggestions.
blog comments powered by Disqus