Friday, August 16, 2013

When your online presence is all "talk"

I know that this has been discussed before ad nauseum, but I just ran across a reminder of this.

My employer has multiple facilities in the United States, and one of these facilities fell victim to a power outage that affected multiple buildings. I noticed that the electricity provider for this facility had an online Twitter presence. Not only that, but the provider's Twitter handle included the word "talk" as part of the handle. In addition, I noticed that the Twitter account was updated fairly regularly, so this indicated that there was someone there.

I had checked the electricity provider's website and could find no information on the power outage. So, figuring that the presence of "talk" in the Twitter handle meant that we could talk to the provider, I tweeted a question about the power outage. I tweeted this publicly, since I figured that other people (especially those in the affected area) would be interested in the response.

A little while later, the Twitter account posted something new - but it wasn't a response to my question. Instead, it was a tweet about something that the electricity provider wanted to promote.

It appears that the presence of the word "talk" in the electricity provider's Twitter handle simply means that THEY will talk - and we will listen.

Actually, I take that back. The electricity provider does interact with its Twitter followers on extremely important matters.


Now perhaps I'm being harsh, but it seems to me that an electricity provider's first communication priority would be related to the electricity that they are - or are not - providing.

blog comments powered by Disqus