Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Odiogone - well, Odiogo's still around, but its terms have changed

I don't know how many of you have noticed the "Listen Now" button on the posts in my Blogger blogs. This ability to listen to my posts via computer-generated audio is provided by a service called Odiogo - a service that I've used since 2008.

Sadly for me, and for Odiogo, I have received an e-mail from Odiogo that begins as follows:

August 12, 2013

Important change to the Odiogo service

Dear Odiogo User,

We would like to share with you important information and changes we are making to the Odiogo Service.

When we started the company a few years ago, we were under the belief that our vocalization service would be paid for via embedded pre-roll ads. Unfortunately this did not prove to be the case. The many of brands and agencies we reached out to were skeptical about audio advertising on the web and preferred staying with the traditional banners and web formatted film ads for the videos.

This situation is driving us to shift to a different model which will help us sustain in the market and provide high standards of product and support. Starting September 1, 2013 the Odiogo Service will be made free only to personal, non-profit blogs. All other blogs or sites using Odiogo will have to switch to either the "Plus" or "Pro" plan....


As it turns out, my Blogger blogs do not qualify as non-profit blogs, for the same reason that I chose to wait three months before blogging about my recent service as an alternate juror.

And in my case, it's not worthwhile to pay over $100 per year to continue the service under a paid plan.

I bear no hard feelings toward Odiogo; the company needs to develop a business plan that provides it with revenue. I wish them well in the future, and if you truly do have a non-profit blog, or if your business blog would benefit from audio capabilities, definitely check Odiogo out. (As I write this, the site has not yet been updated to reflect these changes, but check the site later.)

For a demonstration of the service, go to the top of this post and click "Listen Now." Just be sure to do it in the next couple of weeks.
blog comments powered by Disqus