Saturday, July 13, 2013

When ads are not complementary to the content

In the ideal world, ads would be so attuned to the material that you are reading, and to your own needs, that you would barely notice them - or, better yet, you would welcome them.

For example, let's say that I'm someone who travels to Vegas a lot, and the National Security Agency - I mean Google - knows this. So, as I'm reading an online article entitled "Things to Do in Las Vegas This Weekend," a Megabus ad appears to the side of the article. As I read the article, I see that there are exciting things to do in Vegas, so I immediately click on the Megabus ad and book my reservation.

We do not live in the ideal world. Often ads, rather than being complementary to the content that you have selected, appear to be in opposition. Using the example above, perhaps my access to the Vegas information would be completely blocked by a singles dating service ad. (I am married.)

Larry Rosenthal recently shared a link to a SiliconValley.com interview with LinkedIn's Deep Nishar. Some day I may discuss the content of that interview, but for now I'm more inclined to talk about the ad that blocked access to part of the article.

And now, this wasn't one of those "you can continue reading the rest of the article if you watch this short ad for a singles site." It was worse.


As it turned out, the ad apparently removed itself a few minutes later, but by that time I had nearly completed writing this post.
blog comments powered by Disqus