Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My 2012 thoughts on meetings

OK, now I'm looking back to a post in this very blog itself, the Empoprise-BI business blog. This is part of a post about meetings that I wrote on April 17, 2012.

In some cases, a meeting is beneficial to the asynchronous communication methods that I prefer. For example, my company has a particular process that requires a meeting. Several people thought the the subject in question was so simple that the decision could be made via email, rather than require some high-priced people to stop what they were doing and sit down around a table for an hour. Ten emails later, one participant commented that it would have been more efficient to just have a meeting in this particular case.

And here's one other observation - this one about meeting participants.

I am not the CEO of my company, and many of the decision-making meetings that I've organized over the years have included people who outrank me. And while some companies empower subordinates, most don't. If I work at Microsoft and Steve Ballmer doesn't show up at my meeting, I can't go to him afterwards and say "Steve, here's what we're going to do."

Unless, of course, I'm a developer.

I hope you've enjoyed my recent series of posts looking back at stuff that I've written previously. Notice anything yet?
blog comments powered by Disqus