Sunday, March 18, 2018

(empo-utoobd) It's been almost five years - might as well try again

So I've been mulling over my mysterious 2009 YouTube suspension again - the one where my YouTube account was permanently disabled and it took me four years to even find out why.

Hi there,

This account was found in Violation of TOU #4 Section H:
http://www.youtube.com/t/terms

"You agree not to use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, "robots," "spiders," or "offline readers," that accesses the Service in a manner that sends more request messages to the YouTube servers in a given period of time than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a conventional on-line web browser. Notwithstanding the foregoing, YouTube grants the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials. YouTube reserves the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific cases. You agree not to collect or harvest any personally identifiable information, including account names, from the Service, nor to use the communication systems provided by the Service (e.g., comments, email) for any commercial solicitation purposes. You agree not to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of the Service with respect to their Content."

Sincerely,
The YouTube Team


So I've launched another appeal, again stating that I wasn't a script kiddie or whatever I presumably was.


Incidentally, back in 2013 I wrote the following:

If you see this post years after I wrote it, or if you're not a sports enthusiast, I should explain that Ryan Braun is a baseball player who vehemently denied for 18+ months that he violated baseball's drug policy - until yesterday, when he suddenly admitted that he had violated baseball's drug policy. I wanted to make the point that I'm not going to subsequently admit to using some type of automated spider, especially since any attempt of mine to prove that I could even launch an automated spider would be a laughable failure. No, I am not a script kiddie.


While I'm waiting, I took the opportunity to read any new news on permanently disabled YouTube accounts since 2013. Most importatly, I found this thread that explains (better than Google did) what TOU #4 Section H actually is.

rewboss said:
TOU #4 Section H is about gaming views. It says you're not allowed to use any bot or other automated system to artificially inflate your view count or generate likes, comments and so on.

Basically, this is what YouTube is accusing you of. To YouTube, it looks like lots of your views came from a bot or a click farm of some sort. What's now happening is that you've appealed, and people at YouTube are taking a second look to try to figure out whether you really did cheat. So far, in some cases they have decided that there's no good evidence you did cheat.

If you actually did buy views, likes and comments, you've been lucky; if you didn't, you've been unlucky. But it may be difficult for YouTube to determine whether or not you cheated, because of course these fraudulant services try to make their activities look legit. That may be why it's taking YouTube so long to investigate.


Which is nice to know, but parts of the rest of the thread are bizarre - things about some accounts being reinstated, and some not reinstated, and empty accounts being permanently disabled, and Adsense issues. For example:

One of my youtube channels show - "Monetization on this account has been disabled due to invalid click activity" - How is that even possible if they reinstated that channel saying that I have not violated TOU #4H, and today they reinstated another channel of mine, few hours after Adsense was disabled.

(Incidentally, I never did monetize my YouTube account. From what I recall - and again, this was nearly a decade ago - I only had one YouTube video that was publicly viewable, so there wouldn't be any point in monetizing my YouTube account.)

However, this thread includes references to a number of appeals in a single month (because multiple channels were involved), so I guess my "appeal every five years" strategy should be safe (although possibly not productive).

Oh, and this appeal thread ended with...well, this:

I was suspended again few days ago and they reinstated my account yesterday - the 2nd time..
Can stuff like this happen again ?


blog comments powered by Disqus