Thursday, July 17, 2014

The NFL does not want me as a customer - DirecTV won't let everyone cut the cord for NFL Sunday Ticket

People like me whine about content providers who only provide their content to service providers, and won't provide it directly to customers.

But my whining doesn't do any good, because content providers like HBO and ESPN are better off making deals with service providers like DirecTV. Despite the occasional dustup, service providers are willing to give lots of money to content providers. Why rock the boat?

So when a content provider - in this case the National Football League - appears to support those who want to cut the cord, lots of rejoicing is heard. The NFL has cut a deal with DirecTV, and until now, you had to be a DirecTV satellite subscriber to get the NFL's "Sunday Ticket" package.

No more.

Now you can access live, out-of-market NFL games without a DIRECTV satellite TV account—no matter what team you follow! NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV lets you stream games on your computer, tablet, phone, or game console. All while keeping up with real-time player stats and your fantasy teams.

All that you have to do is input your name and address, and DirecTV does the rest!

And, according to Mark Rogowsky, that's where the catch comes in:

It appears if you live in a residence that DirecTV deems COULD easily get their satellite service, they won’t sell you Sunday Ticket over the internet.

So this isn't an effort to allow people to cut the cord. This is an effort to expand offerings to places such as apartments that can't get the cord (or in this case, the dish).

Anyway, since I've been thinking about customer-centric marketing lately, I'm interpreting this as a failure of DirecTV (and ultimately a failure of the NFL) to secure me as a customer. If the NFL wanted me as a customer, they'd provide a Sunday Ticket-like service over the Internet. Oh, and it would be a lot less than $200 also. Am I going too far by claiming that since the NFL hasn't done this, the NFL obviously doesn't want me as a customer?

And can I use this same logic to decide that the Dodgers and Lakers don't want me as a customer? After all, I couldn't get their games with my current or previous provider, and I certainly couldn't get them when I cut the cord for a few months.

And what about the two Albertsons grocery stores that closed in my area? I guess Albertsons doesn't want me either.
blog comments powered by Disqus