Saturday, March 17, 2018

From gaming to tomatoes - non-trendy Pomodoro in Slack

So I was recently checking out an online information service associated with one of my games, and the service mentioned something about routing alerts to Slack channels.

Which was just the excuse I needed to try out Slack.

Yes, I never got around to trying out Slack until 2018. I am not trendy.

So I started setting things up, creating a one-person Slack workspace for me, myself, and I.

Well, there's also my good buddy Slackbot. If you're non-trendy like I am, "Slackbot" responds to queries from you and provides you with information. For example, you can use a /remind command to remind you to do something at a particular time. (In this case, I directed the reminder to my #random channel.)


One minute later, the reminder appeared in my feed.


In addition to native Slack commands such as /remind, you can integrate apps into Slack. For example, you can use a Twitter app to bring selected tweets (e.g. tweets from a specific Twitter user) into Slack, or you can input tasks to your Todoist account via an app, or you can query Foursquare about available types of restaurants (or whatever) in a particular location.

So I'm exploring various apps, and I run across...Tomatobot.

Hi, I'm Tomatobot. I'm a simple timer for short, distraction-free tasks, and I can join your team in Slack.

Simply add my (sic) to your Slack team, then your team can type /startwork and I'll help them stay focused.


But why a tomato? Why does the work last for 25 minutes? Well...because.

The Pomodoro Technique was invented in the early 90s by developer, entrepeneur, and author Francesco Cirillo. Cirillo named the system "Pomodoro" after the tomato-shaped timer he used to track his work as a university student. The methodology is simple: When faced with any large task or series of tasks, break the work down into short, timed intervals (called "Pomodoros") that are spaced out by short breaks. This trains your brain to focus for short periods and helps you stay on top of deadlines or constantly-refilling inboxes. With time it can even help improve your attention span and concentration.

From https://francescocirillo.com/pages/pomodoro-technique

As I write this, I have not yet experimented with the Pomodoro Technique, but I should have a chance to do so Monday. And since I've successfully adapted the Eisenhower Matrix for my work needs, perhaps I can adapt the Pomodoro technique also.
blog comments powered by Disqus