Friday, May 30, 2014

Omelet! Omelet! #apmp

Earlier this week, I was in Chicago, Illinois for the Association of Proposal Management Professionals Bid & Proposal Con. The conference provided breakfast most mornings, but it hadn't gotten underway on Monday morning yet, so I ventured out into Chicago to eat.

My breakfast place of choice was the Lake Street location of the Billy Goat Tavern. If the name doesn't ring a bell, perhaps you're familiar with its TV parody, the Olympia Café. And if you're not familiar with the Olympia Café...well, I guess you're young or something.

Female Customer: I'll have a tuna salad sandwich, and an order of French fries, please.

Pete Dionasopolis: No. No tuna.

Female Customer: You're out of tuna?

Pete Dionasopolis: No tuna. Cheeseburger? Come on, come on, come on! I don't have all day, we gotta have turnover, turnover. [ turns to Male Customer ] What are you gonna have?

Male Customer: Uh.. I think I'll have grilled cheese and a Coke.

Pete Dionasopolis: Uh.. [ turns to kitchen ] Grilled cheese?

George Dionasopolis: No grilled cheese.

Male Customer: No grilled cheese.

Male Customer: Uh.. cheeseburger and a Coke.

Pete Dionasopolis: Uh, no Coke - Pepsi.

Male Customer: Okay, uh.. Pepsi, and french fries.

Pete Dionasopolis: No fries - chips.

Male Customer: Okay, chips.

Pete Dionasopolis: [ to kitchen ] One cheeseburger, one Pepsi, one chip!

George Dionasopolis: Cheeseburger!

Nico Dionasopolis: Pepsi! Chip! [ throws them onto the counter ]

Pete Dionasopolis: [ to Female Customer ] What do you want?

Female Customer: I'll have a cheeseburger and a small Coke.

Pete Dionasopolis: Uh.. no Coke - Pepsi.

Female Customer: Pepsi.

Pete Dionasopolis: [ to kitchen ] One cheeseburger, one Pepsi!


I was planning on visiting the real Billy Goat Tavern (or at least one of its many locations) during my visit to Chicago, but when I heard of a chance of rain on Monday afternoon, and since I needed to find a breakfast place anyway, I figured I'd go there Monday morning.


Of course, since it was 6:00 in the morning, I didn't go for the cheeseburger. The ham & cheese omelet that I got was basic, but it was better than hotel food.

(Oh, and by the way, life does not imitate art at the Billy Goat Tavern. They DO have fries in addition to chips, and they DON'T have Pepsi.)
blog comments powered by Disqus