Thursday, December 5, 2013

I am standing in a tree with purple pants. Reach me at extension 555.

Violet Blue shared a link to a Joseph Muniz post entitled How To Educate Your Employees About Social Engineering. One of Muniz's educational tips caught my eye:

One common problem is people leaving their computers unlocked while away from their desk. In a previous job, my team [used] to send out silly emails from systems found unlocked while [unattended]. People would laugh and start locking their systems so they don’t become the next victim.

Be sure to read the other tips in Muniz's post. And while you're at it, look at Violet Blue's post also; it describes how Muniz and Aamir Lakhani conducted a successful social engineering test in which "Emily Williams" eventually received offers for a free laptop from her supposed co-workers...at a U.S. government agency. More information here and here.

P.S. No, my work extension is not 555...but long-standing employees at my current employer know whose extension that was.

P.P.S. Yes, Muniz is a great security professional but a poor writer. I, on the other hand, am a terrible security professional.
blog comments powered by Disqus