Monday, July 29, 2013

Contest - rewrite Disney's mission statement!

Even if you know nothing else about sales, you know that customers are important. I thought about this recently while reading a blurb for a particular event (disclosure: I am connected to one of the sponsors), which uses specific language to make potential customers feel good:

...that is why [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] are thrilled to invite you to join us - and an elite group of your peers - for an inspired afternoon...

...[EVENT] is an invitation only Executive Summit that will bring together the intellectual brain trust of the [REDACTED] industry...


Yes, it's corny. Even if I personally believe that I am an elite member of a brain trust, I'm not necessarily an executive. But it makes me feel good when I'm pitched in this way.

Oddly enough, this technique is not universal. Cole Jensen looked at the mission statements of several companies, including Disney.

The Walt Disney Company’s objective is to be one of the world’s leading producers and providers of entertainment and information, using its portfolio of brands to differentiate its content, services and consumer products. The company’s primary financial goals are to maximize earnings and cash flow, and to allocate capital profitability toward growth initiatives that will drive long-term shareholder value.

Oddly enough, the mission statement does not mention any desire to delight the PEOPLE receiving said entertainment and information. This is especially odd because of Disney's fanatical devotion to customer service, especially at its theme parks. But if you were to judge Disney by its mission statement alone, it doesn't care about customers - it only cares about creating differentiated content to keep shareholders happy. While shareholders are extremely important, perhaps one should say HOW to drive that value. What about this?

The Walt Disney Company's objective is to produce a diverse range of entertainment and information that delights and inspires people, thus maximizing earnings, cash flow, and long-term shareholder value.

Perhaps it's because I'm an elite member of a brain trust, but I frankly think that my cut at Disney's mission statement is an improvement on the original. In fact, I think Disney should pay me for rewriting its mission statement. Bob Iger, you can contact me at the "empoprises" account at Gmail to find out where to send my check.

And readers, if you want a check from Bob Iger, add your rewritten Disney mission statement in the comments below, or in your own post.
blog comments powered by Disqus