Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The LinkedIn cold call

I recently received a request to connect via LinkedIn.

I did not recognize the name of the person, but I thought that perhaps the person was an Association of Proposal Management Professionals member, or maybe the person was in the biometrics industry.

Neither was the case.

The person requesting the connection was an insurance agent who is based in a town 40 miles away from me.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the person didn't want to connect to me because of my proposals or biometrics expertise.

If Billy Mays were still alive, would he use LinkedIn to tout his products?

Note that this is not the fault of LinkedIn, and it's not the fault of the insurance company. It might not even be the fault of the agent who tried to connect to me; everyone and their mother has been telling this agent that social media services are used to connect and make friends. This agent actually listened to all the hype.
blog comments powered by Disqus