Thursday, June 3, 2010

Foursquare enters non-location territory (Go Lakers)

During a Twitter search for information on the Lakers-Celtics game (going on as I type this), I ran across this interesting Foursquare badge:

Celtics - Finals 2010

Stand up! You've unlocked the Celtics badge for showing your Boston pride. Watch the Celtics take on the Lakers in The Finals 2010 on ABC! "Go Celtics!"

Unlocked by M.Fachri on Fri Jun 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM.


Wondering how I could earn the Lakers counterpart, I found this explanation:

Now, if you are a Foursquare user, you can get a new badge just by shouting "Go Lakers" or "Go Celtics." Foursquare will then automatically award you with either the Celtics 2010 badge or the Lakers 2010 badge. Show your support for which ever team you are rooting for by shouting out there names in the Foursquare app for your mobile device.

So I shouted, and earned the badge.

Lakers - Finals 2010

Stand up! You've unlocked the Lakers badge for showing your L.A. pride. Watch the Lakers take on the Celtics in The Finals 2010 on ABC! "Go Lakers!"

Unlocked by John B. on Thu Jun 3, 2010 at 7:34 PM.


Technically this is not a location-based badge, but I'm sure that the folks at Disney are happy with this crowdsourced promotional effort. (Technically, however, Disney is not getting a benefit from me; since the Los Angeles ESPN radio station is hard to pick up in the evening, I'm listening to the game on a local Inland Empire affiliate, KSPA.)
blog comments powered by Disqus