Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Just one more thing (3)...

As you can imagine, moving from one cubicle to another when you've been in the same cubicle for nearly a decade can be an involved undertaking. Granted that it wasn't a long-distance move (I just moved across the hall), but it still provided me with an opportunity to get rid of some stuff.

My cousin and I were discussing this on Facebook, and she briefly noted that "cubicle purging is therapeutic." I'm a bit of a packrat, but I think that I've gotten less packratty over the years as I've moved to a more electronic lifestyle. Now some of the clutter can be found online rather than in the physical world. (No comments on my writing style.)

But I still managed to acquire a lot of stuff over the years, so I've been working on reducing it over the last couple of weeks. Some stuff I threw away, some I gave to our in-house IT organization (for example, they're now the proud owners of an external floppy disk drive with a parallel cable), and some were taken care of via other means. But there were still six items that were left over. As I left the marketing room, I sent an e-mail to the remaining cubicle-dwellers of that room. Here's part of that message:

ACT NOW! DON'T DELAY! ONLY AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED TIME!

After several years in a cubicle in the marketing room, I have relocated to the Proposals area. However, my departure can benefit YOU....

[Someone] is unable to offer the items that I am available to offer to you right now, as the result of the cubicle move.

So, WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, feel free to go to my old cubicle and obtain these VALUABLE ITEMS:

(1) One (1) Columbo jacket, as worn at the 2008 Motorola Biometrics Users' Conference. (Sorry, the cigar is no longer available.)


At this part of the message, I inserted the picture that I previously shared in this blog post. (Look at that picture carefully, by the way. I'll explain why in a future post.)

Back to excerpts from my email:

(2) One (1) Escape poster. This poster was originally owned by [a retired employee], who escaped. It was then passed to [another retired employee], who escaped. If you'd like to save this for your retirement, feel free.

I gave away a couple of other Motorola-related items, then got to the final item:

(6) One (1) Compaq NonStop mug. Compaq used to be a computer company who offered "NonStop" equipment, originally based on the Tandem high-availability computer product line....

And if you think those items are old, I had previously gotten rid of items from the last millennium - namely, 15-year old computer software manuals.

When I was talking with my cousin, she noted that she moves cubicles much more frequently than once per decade. Perhaps she's on the right track.
blog comments powered by Disqus