Sunday, August 23, 2009

Empoprise-BI News - 23 August 2009

Empoprise-BI News


The news letter for Empoprise-BI - An Empoprises vertical information service for business news.



Welcome to Empoprise-BI News

Business as unusual here this week. Here's the scoop:

Behind the Scenes

Or, more accurately, in front of the scenes. I normally don't talk about biometrics in this blog, but last week I dug into the topic with two posts. However, these are very much posts from the outside, as it were. All of the biometric activity this past week was taking place in Tampa, at the International Association of Identification conference. I was unable to attend this year, unfortunately. While the press coverage that I saw didn't touch upon IAI reaction to the NAS report or the DNA fabrication study, I was able to find a couple of mentions of the big concerns at the conference. Ironically, both of them quoted a man whom I highly respect, Bill Schade. Here's the local Fox station coverage. And here's how Bay News 9 covered it.

Special Features

You remember my post from last week, A Course in Miracles just dashed all hope of sales in Iran. This talked about the press release that quoted Jesus Christ; in the post, I observed:

Now, I am a religious person. I believe that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead. But I'm not about to put him on the interview circuit.

However, the Course in Miracles people only managed to get one endorsement. The Unification Church did much better in their August 2002 full page ad, which endorsed Sun Myung Moon's Messiahship. Ethics Daily reproduced some of the many endorsements that Moon received. Here are some of them:

Jesus: "Reverend Sun Myung Moon! You are the Second Coming who inaugurated the Completed Testament Age."

John Calvin: "God is the parent of humankind and Reverend Sun Myung Moon is the Messiah, Savior and Second Coming."

Muhammad: "Since I, Muhammad, encountered the Unification Principle and met the Reverend Sun Myung Moon, my worldview has changed … I cry out: Victory for God! Victory for Reverend Sun Myung Moon, the True Parent, Messiah and Savior! All Muslims follow the will of Muhammad."

Joseph Stalin: "Friends in Communist countries, I am Stalin. You have had wrong thinking … Please receive the will of Reverend Moon completely."

Karl Marx is reported to have renounced atheism: "I, Marx, affirm God's existence and that He is the parent of all humankind."


But yet most of us still wonder what religion Paris Hilton follows. Oh well.

Upcoming

Back on Friday, I began to write a series of posts in which I critically examined three suggestions for Facebook to provide a more FriendFeed-like experience. I had made these suggestions back during the week that the Facebook acquisition of FriendFeed was announced. But do these suggestions make sense for Facebook? I started the series midday on Friday, with my post A tool is not a way of life, and a tool's features are not a way of life either. I continued it late Friday afternoon by looking at the first of my three suggestions, in the post Do feedbumps make sense in Facebook?

Well, I still have two more suggestions to look at, and I plan to look at them early in the week.

I also plan to discuss a minor enhancement that LinkedIn added to its interface, and why I like it.

And I'll do some more stuff also.
blog comments powered by Disqus