Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The dangers of a name change

We all get junk mail, and we all also get "semi-junk" mail - namely, something that is tangentially related to our interests, but that we don't really care that much about. The semi-junk mail really can't be stopped, so you have to find a way to deal with it, or just ignore it manually.

One day last week I received an email from some outfit that I had never heard of before. In my Outlook summary windows, the sender of the email was shown to be "Rovi," and the subject of the email appeared as "From the desk of Fred Amoroso, CEO of Rovi Corporati...." I couldn't see the rest of the subject in my summary pane.

Having no idea who this Rovi was, I pretty much ignored the message at the time, but before I got around to deleting it, I happened to run across the message again and saw the full title:

From the desk of Fred Amoroso, CEO of Rovi Corporation, formerly Macrovision


Ah! I HAVE heard of Macrovision.

Now perhaps some people could argue that I should have heard the announcement of the name change, or I should have known who Fred Amoroso was. And they're right: I should have, and I should have. But I didn't.

And Rovi did everything right by putting "Macrovision" in the title. But they didn't realize that the word "Macrovision" never appeared in my summary Outlook view.

And perhaps one could argue that they should have used a different title that put Macrovision in the front. But if they want to push their new corporate name, why would they push their old one?

The takeaway from all of this? Get the right name in the first place.

(Now watch - I'll change the "Empoprises" name at some point and confuse everyone. I confused enough people when I stopped blogging under the "Ontario Emperor" name.)
blog comments powered by Disqus