Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Biometrics for all

I work in the biometrics area, but there are some things that I'm seeing that just puzzle me.

The iHouse SmartFaucet got a lot of press in April, but I didn't hear about it until I read this July item from Craziest Gadgets.

The faucet has a facial recognition feature that can detect who is using the faucet. Once it figures out who you are, it will automatically set the water to your pre-programmed temperature and flow level preferences.

As long as the device is there, why not use it for other purposes?

The SmartFaucet has a touchscreen that you can not only use to set the water to your liking but you can check your e-mails, the temperature outside, your calendar and more. The internet has come to faucets people! This faucet has it all!

OK, perhaps we've extended biometrics to the bathroom faucet, but to my knowledge biometrics has not yet been extended to another bathroom appliance (although Google's TiSP Project indicates that Internet access has been expanded there).

P.S. Yeah, I stole the title of this post from a former co-worker's company.
blog comments powered by Disqus