Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The benefits of short podcasts, and how to listen to this blog via audio

While I'm not a complete Luddite, I'd be the first to acknowledge that I'm not bleeding-edge either. While people debate the advantages and disadvantages of short vs. long digital video recordings, I'm looking at the advantages and disadvantages of short vs. long digital AUDIO recordings.

It's only been over the last couple of days that I've been incorporating audio podcast feeds into my Empoprises Google Reader account. For my purposes, I'm looking for short audio podcasts that center on the Empoprises topics of interest (business, Inland Empire, music, NTN Buzztime). If the podcasts are in mp3 format, there are two cases in which I can listen to them:
  • While at a regular desktop/laptop computer. In this case, I open the item in Google Reader, click on the audio link, indicate that Windows Media Player should be used to listen to the audio, then listen away. And, for what it's worth, the item will be scrobbled to my last.fm feed at the same time.

  • While at my first-generation Motorola Q phone. Other than the last.fm scrobbling, this case is similar to the one above. Again, I open the item in Google Reader, click on the audio link, then let Windows Media Player play the mp3 file. While my podcast listening habits are not recorded for the world's benefit, I do have a lot more flexibility in listening to podcasts; I listened to a Wall Street Journal daily podcast this morning (feed at http://feeds.wsjonline.com/wsj/podcast_wall_street_journal_whats_news) while getting ready to go to work, and I could listen to podcasts in the car if I so desired.
I had signed up to a couple of business podcasts when I began looking for Inland Empire podcasts, and I then discovered that the Riverside Press-Enterprise has a complete list of podcast feeds available for free listening. So I listened to one (via http://pe.robocaster.com/rss-pe_com-business.xml), which sounded remarkably like an Odiogo feed...

...and realized that I had some unfinished podcasting business of my own.

You see, the first three Empoprises blogs that I created all have their own Odiogo feeds, in which you can listen to a mechanized voice read the posts for your listening pleasure. However, I had never completed the setup of the Odiogo feed for this blog, Empoprise-BI.

If you are dying to hear Empoprise-BI posts read by a mechanized voice, go here to review your subscription options. Many of you can just use the standard http://podcasts.odiogo.com/empoprisebi/podcasts-xml.php to subscribe, but there are specialized options for iTunes and other subscriptions.
blog comments powered by Disqus